Biodiversity includes all the flora and fauna. Nature has designated unique role to each organism – be it a single-celled amoeba or multi-cellular humans. Biodiversity is essential to keep the wheel of the nature moving i.e. to sustain life. At genetic level, biodiversity grants disease resilience and makes the populations stable. At species level, biodiversity sustains the food web. At ecosystem level, diversity is essential to sustain biosphere.
Biodiversity is under threats of habitat loss, invasive species, human intrusion, pollution, monoculture, forest fires, untreated waste dumping, among others. World countries are working through UN Convention on Biological Diversity to conserve, sustain and ensure fair and equitable benefit sharing from use of biodiversity. In India, we have Biological Diversity Act, 2002 as the major legislation to achieve these aims.
Dhara’s Vision and Mission
Dhara for Sustaining Life aims to generate awareness about importance of biodiversity in our ecosystem. We aim to revive agro-biodiversity, forest biodiversity and urban biodiversity through sustainable development.
- Surveying the imminent and potential threats to biodiversity in the area
- Generate awareness among students and famers regarding crop diversification, crop rotation and natural farming techniques which can conserve the soil biodiversity
- Organize trips to model villages that have adopted sustainable and remunerative agriculture practices successfully
- Collect data on development projects, its impact on communities and wildlife and presenting the report to the government
- Collaborate with local Biodiversity committees to generate database of biodiversity of India
- Informing the relevant stakeholders regarding the most appropriate variety of trees, plants and shrubs that should be grown in specific climate conditions
- Blogging about the features and significance of biodiversity found in India
How you can help
- Donate to our projects related to Biodiversity Conservation. You can follow the ongoing and upcoming projects here
- Volunteer with us to help execute the ongoing projects and to help kickstart the upcoming ones
- Share your idea about how we can benefit the people more or how we can reach out to more communities
- Partner with us and we can jointly work to create more impact
- Contribute to our blog on the relevant topic.
Drop us an e-mail at email@example.com or call us at +91-9999-801-394 or drop by at our office in 10/70 Basement, Old Rajender Nagar, New Delhi-60.